Thursday, February 25, 2010

Part Three:

He was making the best music of his career this last year. The collaboration with Guy Picciotto from Fugazi that yielded the magnificent album 'At The Cut' and the tour that followed showed Vic in top form. It seemed that the burden of living without health insurance ( a nightmare for anyone like Vic with constant health issues) and facing medical lawsuits and mounting doctors bills became too much to take (I have heard they were threatening to seize his assets as well). As someone who is disabled and living without health insurance, I am in exactly the same position myself. I know what Vic faced here, and I can totally see how it could drive someone to check out for good.
Vic's decision to exit this world was his own. I know some of the burdens the man faced, and although I cannot know the physical pain he carrried with him each day in that body of his, I had the privilege of sharing some intimate moments with him that will stay with me the rest of my life. I am grateful for that. As well as the music, which will stand the test of time.
Let's please not forget Vic. And if there is ever a way to change this fucked up health care system in this country- let's do it for Vic Chesnutt. Maybe his example can promote change. That is my hope. What a wonderful legacy that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment